Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday Meditation: Motion vs. Action

 

Like a hamster spinning on a wheel, some people go round and round but don't seem to get anywhere. It sounds like a great plan but it never seems to go anywhere. Sound familiar? I've certainly fallen into this trap before! Since my birthday last June, I really wanted needed to lose weight. After getting into the routine of an 8-5 job behind the desk, falling out of the routine of being active, and facing a slowing metabolism, I packed on 20 lbs. after graduating college. Yeeps! I didn't feel good about myself or my body. I was going through the MOTIONS rather than taking ACTION. I'd say I was going to get back in shape, plan for next time I'd have the energy, or I'd complain about how my clothes were feeling snug, but I wasn't really doing anything about it. Eating healthy is often a challenge as a young adult, just as it is to make time to work out. It takes planning AND acting on it. Replacing motion with a deliverable action.


Pinned Image
Image source

Well, I am happy to say I got MOVING! I've lost 12 lbs. in the past 9 months... also thanks in part to living with people who have healthy eating habits (vegan) and a great workplace that supports wellness (just installed a gym in our office building). I finally put my "plan" into ACTON! It feels awesome!
 
 My action goal is to lose another 5 lbs. before summer.  
 
Pinned Image
Image source
Where do you find yourself "planning" in life but aren't taking actions towards your goal? What's holding you back from turning that perpetual spin cycle into momentum that will propel you into action? How can you carry the weight of your actions, not just your words? What's your action goal?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you for this! This is exactly what I needed to read. I've been at that place where I say I want to commit to a healthy lifestyle, but breaking my eating habits has been incredibly hard. So the changes I want haven't been happening. I'm ready to take ACTION!

    ReplyDelete

Share your positive thoughts!