Wednesday, June 19, 2013

JAM Mulberry Apple Cobbler Recipe

As I mentioned in my last weekend recap post, I made my Dad a (bomb) cobbler recipe for Father's Day. There is a giant mulberry tree growing in the backyard and I was curious as to how to craft up a good recipe from it. I picked an entire colander of mulberries, wowzer! I had my work cut out for me!


The best way to describe mulberries, if you have never tried them, is the size and shape of a raspberry, not as fleshy, not as sweet. See?


So I perused Pinterest and found this super easy mulberry cobbler recipe from a fellow Ohio blogger, Columbus Foodie. I tweaked the original recipe to add in a lil more JAM and it turned out fab! Here's what you'll need:

MulberryApple Cobbler
8 in. square metal dish

2 1/2 – 3 c. mulberries
2 apples diced
1/2 c. sugar
6 tbsp. butter
3/4 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
pint of vanilla bean ice cream

  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Clean your mulberries and chop apples.  Set aside.
  • Next in a separate large bowl mix sugar, flour, baking powder, salt.
  • Melt the butter and pour it into an eight inch square metal dish.
  • Add the milk to your dry ingredients and mix until a thick batter; remember to keep the berries separate! A very important step in this recipe is to pour the batter into the dish. You do not want to mix the batter when it is in the dish because the butter is there first for a reason.
  • Now that the batter is already in the pan you can add your mulberries and apples.
  • Sprinkle them all over the top of the batter like so...
  • All poured and ready for the oven
  • Pop that bad boy in the oven for 20-25 minutes, time may vary according to your oven.
    Boom!
  • Test to see if it's done by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean. If so, allow the cobbler to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
Yumminess!!!
 
  • This is a more "light" cobbler upside down recipe as opposed to the traditional biscuit style cobbler. Honestly, I prefer this recipe more since it's a great post-cookout dessert that doesn't make you feel like you're going to explode.
  • Finally, cut and serve in large wine glasses for added effect. Scoop a dollop of fresh vanilla bean ice cream on top of the warm cobbler.
  • Serve and receive many compliments and happy bellies. 
For more recipes, follow my board on Pinterest!  And keep JAMmin!

What's your favorite dessert to top off a cookout? What's your go-to easy summer dessert recipe? Have you ever tried mulberries?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh...we have mulberries in our backyard and cobbler is my JAM (see what I did there?). I'll definitely be trying this out.

    ReplyDelete

Share your positive thoughts!