Sunday, November 4, 2012

Screw Factory Artists Open House in Lakewood!

Have you been to the Screw Factory in Lakewood before? Yesterday, I attended one of their open houses and it's always a new adventure each time! If you haven't discovered this place yet...you're seriously missing out on one of Cleveland's post-industrial polished gems! But don't worry... the Last Minute Market is just around the corner--Saturday, December 15th 10am-6pm at the Screw Factory so you still have a chance. The event will feature all sorts of mixed media, sculptures, ceramics, jewelry, clothing, book art, crafts, paintings, photography and SO MUCH MORE!
last minute market
Click here to visit their site
  
So, the Screw Factory building is located in the area affectionately known as "Birdtown" in Lakewood. The Screw Factory is both an active factory and home to several working artists in studios on the second and third floors. Click here to check out the list of the many artists located at the Screw Factory. Growing up in and around the arts, I've come to LOVE Cleveland artists' unique style and blend of aesthetics-- tough yet delicate, experiential yet accessible, pragmatic yet creative, rusted yet restored, historial yet renewed, stark yet bright.

Photo by JAMinCLE


The dichotomy of a "Rust Belt" city experiencing a renaissance is surely evident in a place like the artists' studios here in the Screw Factory. The building itself is nearly 100 years old and once served as a car factory (go figure).

Photo by JAMinCLE


Photo by JAMinCLE
 
 
The remnants of a bygone era still lingers throughout the building, especially when contrasted next to these phenomenal artists' work and vibrantly creative spaces.
Photo by JAMinCLE


Photo by JAMinCLE
 
Photo by JAMinCLE
 
Per usual, I met some amazing artists as they welcomed me into their colorful worlds. It's always so fascinating to see how they each use their loft space differently and develop a "signature look" for their space that reflects their design aesthetic. 
Photo by JAMinCLE
 
Meet Mary Beth of MBN Art. She specializes in these awesome acrylic paintings. I loved how bright and cheery her studio was accompanied by her bright style paintings. After admiring her work, I began chatting with her, and she asked if I was an artist too. "No," I confessed. Then, she revealed that she spent most of her professional career working as a nurse in Cleveland. She left her "day job" a few years back to "regroup and recharge her battery" she said. Amen, sister! Way to follow your passion!!! It surely shines through!
 
Photo by JAMinCLE
Meet Karen of Firsthand Studio. She works with mixed media paintings and handmade books. I particularly liked her handmade books, which she is just venturing into. My mom is a member of Art Books Cleveland so I was happy to pass along the good word about the group and connect fellow Clevelanders and book artists! Hope you can join the next meeting!
 
Photo by JAMinCLE
 
Meet Teresa of Silvermade Studio and dovecote cleveland. I fell in love with her jewelry line the moment I laid eyes on it! She is the quintessential Cleveland (born & bred) jewelry maker!!! Her pieces are delicate but sturdy. Simple but profound. Labor intensive but oh-so-worth-it! When I picked up this bracelet I knew I had to have it! Teresa and I began to talk about the amount of work that goes into the tedious process, and how she must lay out each individual teeny-tiny letter and hammer it into the metal. Wow, patient woman! She said she really liked this piece too because it was one of her favorite quotes by e.e. cummings. My heart fluttered! This is actually part of my all time favorite most beloved and often used mantra & quote by e.e. cummings that goes, "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are!"
 
Ain't that the truth?!
Photos by JAMinCLE
If only everyone relished this noteworthy quote! I was so excited after chatting with Teresa and discovering our common ground of admiration for seriously awesome poets, AND my new bracelet which serves as a reminder to me each and everyday of who I really am and where I come from! It takes courage, persistence and curiosity to actively choose to face each new day with the positive intent of growing and continuing to develop and thrive! But you, you already know, CLE! :) Keep on JAMmin!


Photo by JAMinCLE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your positive thoughts!