Sunday, January 13, 2013

JAMinCLE Goes to SEA

Hi there! Thanks to all who checked in on me, pardon the blogging hiatus! I've been experiencing some technical difficulties with Blogger for over a week (aaarrrgh!) But finally found a way to circumvent the issue. So--Happy New(ish) Year! I had the chance to finally go through my photos from my trip to Seattle last month and edit them. Man, it was an AWESOME trip!! I think know 2013 is going to be the year of TRAVEL! Bring on the adventures.

Here's my recap of JAMinCLE goes to SEA! Enjoy :)
Seattle skyline from the top of the Space Needle

There were several reasons for me to jet out west to Seattle--my top reasons for visiting were to see my cousins, Shahrad and Steph, and to check the Pacific Northwest off my travel bucket list. Life has changed drastically for both of us since the last time I visited them earlier in 2012 when they were still living in San Fran. They've gotten married and are now expecting their first little one (and first great-grandchild for the Cellini family!!!) in early February! It's always great to catch up with them and the new changes in their life and new city. Shahrad and Steph are the most hospitable, fun-spirited, adventurous couple and always host a fabulous trip-- so I knew Seattle would go down in the books too!
Seriously, they could not be anymore cute!!!
Shahrad and Steph (and baby Simone!) pictured outside their Seattle home

First stop off the plane? Hot Cakes Molten Chocolate Cakery in Northwest Seattle! *Squeal* My cousin, (I can say that now! Yay!) Steph, made the phenomenal suggestion as soon as I hopped off the plane to take me to this chocoholic heaven place that "crafts organic, classic American comfort desserts and other original and innovative confections. Founded in 2008 by Autumn Martin with the dessert that gave us our name: Take-n-Bake Molten Chocolate Cake in a Mason Jar." Um seriously? YES! It was other worldly with all of the organic chocolatey creations on their menu, and with their adorable rustic packaging and presentation in mason jars and twine, I felt like it was the perfect introduction to Seattle!
Pictured: my grilled chocolate sandwich on potato bread with chocolate carmel dipping sauce
Want to drool over all the chocolate choices on the menu? Click here!
My eyes rolled into the back of my head shortly after this bite.... :)
#chocolateloverdreamscometrue
 My suggestion, CLE definitely needs to add a place like this!!! With chocolate choices gallore and boozey shakes, it would be a sure fire hit in our city too!

Pike Place Market
I bet you've heard of the infamous "fish-throwing" at this Seattle staple institution, Pike Place Market. Yes, I did actually get to see it happen!!! It was certainly different than Cleveland's own West Side Market in the sense that their market had more of a "flea market" feel--featuring clothes, tourist gifts, jewelry and other retail items.
Post munching and moseying our way through the market

Quintessential Seattle shot:
lady with her umbrella, and coffee, under clearing gray skies, on her way to Pike Place Market!

I'm not gonna lie about embracing my tourism--I did scoop up this stellar Seattle hoodie from Pike Place Market and I rocked it hard from the top of the Space Needle--holla!



 The Space Needle was spectacular! We lucked out with some clear skies and even sunshine that snuck out and made for some gorgeous clear views that spanned the city, water, and mountains---BEAUTIFUL!
Seattle cityscape


Just the right shot!
Familia!

Take me to space



The Space Needle boasted some seriously breathtaking views. Could we add one of these "out of this world" vantage points in CLE? :) Juuuust a suggestion!


After our space ride, we walked right next door to my requested visit to the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum!!! I've had a slight obsession with Chihuly's work after first seeing some of his collection a few years ago at the Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus. The whole Garden & Glass Museum is dedicated to this talented native Seattleite and his glass-blown work and it.is.unreal.
Magical!


The scale of these structures is mammoth and each delicate piece of glass was blown and fused to create these beautiful works of art. I was in complete awe!


Official Chihuly photo :)




Then, we ventured outside to see his glass installed in the garden with a killer backdrop! I was on sensory overload!!

Spaced out



 


Yes, LOVED the museum and his crazy cool work. Seattle has some rich culture, attractions, and views. And last but not least--the food. Seattle is known for its fresh food, eco-conscious efforts, and greenery; the food certainly aligns with that freshly picked clean eating (even their chocolate was organic!) 

Homegrown Sustainable Sandwich Shop
Pictured:


 The simplest foods were the best because everything was fresh and made locally. Absolutely delicious! I ordered this sandwich because of their local Beecher's cheese that I tried too. 

Beecher's Handmade Cheese
Beecher's is just across the street from Pike Place Market, and if you're a cheesehead like me, you have GOT to go check this place out and watch them making the cheese right in front of you!

So much cheese, you gotta shovel it in!
So, from the food, to art, to family time--Seattle was a big win! I like to describe the vibe there as Hipster with Midwestern values. I think a lot of CLE lovers would totally dig Seattle. So hope my guide and trip recap serves you well if you venture out to the Pacific Northwest. I can't wait for more travel adventures and opening up my little world even more in 2013! Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! Seattle and the Pacific NW have been on my travel list too. The Chihuly glass is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! We're hoping to do a Seattle/Portland trip sometime soon and these are some great recommendations of spots to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING TRIP! I have always wanted to go to Seattle. It just seems so far away, you know? I love the glass blowing. I want to take a class in it :-) I hope you are doing well babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my list of places to go! I was at the Beecher's in NY and it was a very cool space with a kick ass bar below the factory part.

    ReplyDelete

Share your positive thoughts!