Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vegan + Soldiers and Sailors = A Good One

It's a lovely spring day in CLE, so I decided to stroll down to Public Square to grab some grub and take in the nice afternoon. Have you been to Flaming Ice Cube? It's an awesome vegan restaurant right in the hub of downtown, and they serve up delicious dishes--even if you are wary of leaping into the veganism realm, I promise this won't disappoint. Honest to goodness food. I had their buffalo panini sandwich and broccoli pea salad. I am not a vegan or vegetarian by any means, but their flavorful and tasty lunches would surely sway any preconceived notion you may have. It's a must try!
Image source: cleveland.metromix.com

After picking up my food, I took a few steps across the street to enjoy my lunch at the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument. I've past it countless times, but finally got to really take in the colossal size and enormous detail put into the memorial.
Image source: Soldiersandsailors.com


Yesterday actually marked the 147th anniversary of the end of the American Civil War.  So I decided to take a quick spin through the interior.
Photo: JAMinCLE
The monument is certainly an interesting link to CLE's history. The memorial honors more than 9,000 residents of Cuyahoga County who particpated in the Civil War. Wow!

Photo: JAMinCLE

My favorite relief inside was the one pictured above where Lincoln is shown breaking the chains of slavery. Honest Abe, Midwestern-minded man, taking a stand against slavery. He was a good guy, as were our soldiers and sailors that served. My vegan lunch from Flaming Ice Cube was a good one done too. Just like my city, and my tomorrow--it's going to be a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your positive thoughts!